Early Life


year : 1915

I have a very vivid memory of my mother at our Christmas Party. She ran into the kitchen with a silver platter half-filled with hors d’oeuvres, looking extremely distressed. I looked closer at the platter and saw broken glass sprinkles around the salmon puffs. I don't recall her exact words but she told me that I was to never attend the fancy parties where people turn up their nose at anything less than perfect or desirable. 
She muttered something to me about sending me to "shadow" my father at the University. I was only about eight at the time, but after that night she began sending me to a tutor and started stressing my education. 
Looking back on it, I am extremely grateful for whatever crisis that made my mother push me into my studies, and into a world where I felt I could thrive. From my dorm in Connecticut, I often reflect on the teachings of Miss Winsor's back home in Boston. I still do not know yet what I would like to do... maybe something in medicine like my father? Something in art? 

***

Christiana Morgan was born on October 6, 1891 in Boston, Massachusetts. Her maiden name was Christiana Drummond Councilman but became Christiana Drummond Morgan upon marrying her husband William Morgan. She grew up in a life of luxury and would have possibly become a socialite had it not been for her interest in art, writing, and eventually psychology. She went to boarding school in Farmington, Connecticut after attending Miss Winsor's School for Girls for six years. 

Comments

Popular Posts